Friday, March 12, 2010

The wait is over!

Nine months after we were asked to consider becoming foster parents, we received a little bundle of pinkness this past Monday. We got a call at 3:30pm, and by 6pm a social worker arrived at our door, baby in tow. She has quickly become part of the family, and the transition to having her in our home has been pretty much seamless. It just has God all over it.

We had been praying all along for whatever baby the Lord had in mind for us. It struck me that right around the time we said "yes" to becoming foster parents, her mom would have found out she was expecting. Of course, I can't divulge any details, and I can't post any pictures. Too bad, because she is cute as a button, and has stolen all our hearts. The other kids are all a big help, and the big girls have taken turns giving her bottles. Last evening I even had the luxury of reading a book while Bethany fed the baby. She is a natural with her, and beams when she spends time with her.

Other than being a bit sleep-deprived (though I had the most amazing, restorative nap this afternoon!) I am so enjoying this new adventure. It means being really organized so that everything gets done by the end of the day, and it means minimal knitting time (sigh), but it all feels so right. I never would have guessed a year ago that I would be doing this. It is a bit surreal, like I am walking around in someone else's life. At the same time, it feels very natural. Guess twenty-three years of parenting my own kids has left me with the ability and the wisdom to mother one more child. That, and God has provided lots of grace to do it.

Thank goodness it is March break now. A slower pace and lots of hands to help. Time to adjust to our new life together.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit late reading this post but I have to comment that it is amazing that her conception and your yes coincide in time.

    ReplyDelete