Thursday, January 14, 2010

Doing things well

Sitting on my desk there is a perpetual desktop calendar with excerpts from the writings of Catherine Doherty. Yesterday's page had the following on it -
"Little things done exceedingly well over and over again for the love of God; this is going to make you saints. It is absolutely positive. Don't seek immense mortifications of flagellations or what have you. Seek the daily mortification of doing a thing exceedingly well."

This has inspired me over the years to do things to the best of my ability, to embrace the many small tasks of the day and try to do them with love. Sometimes I have succeeded, many times, not so much. How does this make us saints? I think it is because in the very act of trying to do things well, and with great love, we overcome our selfish tendency to "just get the job done" so we can move on to something we think is more important or valuable or enjoyable. Anytime we overcome our own will and choose God's will, even in the most ordinary of tasks or events, we grow in holiness. We have our whole lives to do it, but really it starts with today.

1 comment:

  1. Preach on sister! haha this is so fitting, especially for this time of my life when all I seem to do in the run of a day is change diapers, clean high chairs, read the same book about 50 times and fill sippy cups :) Thank you for the reminder that doing these things with love is what makes us Saints! :) it is so hard sometimes not to a)give up and leave the mess and b)"just get the job done" for the sake of moving onto something more fun. Thankfully, God is patient and loving with me as I slowly give up my selfish ways

    ReplyDelete